Saturday, August 22, 2009

Almost There

This morning we find ourselves in Saskatoon and are hoping to reach Chard later today. Lisa and I left Brockville Tuesday morning along with here parents for the drive West. So far so good considering we are traveling with 3 kids under age 6 and a small partially housebroken puppy. We've seen some nice sites along the way and I hope to get a few pictures from our trip up on the blog eventually. The one good thing about all the travel I've done is that I've stayed at our current hotel before. I once stayed here for a conference in 2002 when I was teaching in Saskatchewan. It was nice to know exactly where to go since yesterday was a long day on the road - something like 12 hours, including passing through 2 time zones. (I should add that while I love Ontario, it was with relief that we finally crossed into Manitoba yesterday afternoon.) I've been through Northern Ontario a number of times on the train but I don't think I truly appreciated its sheer mass until now.

The only thing left to deal with is the moving company. For some reason they don't understand the concept of delivering to a school even though my employer has told me I can use the school as a delivery address and I've told the movers this a number of times now. Apparently they have to contact my principal there but have been unable to do so so that our boxes are delivered to the right house. Why the school board didn't just tell we what house we are moving into a couple weeks back is beyond me. The last email I got from the movers was Tuesday so I'm hoping that they have been able to contact the principal in the meantime. The situation is a bit of a gong show and I sometimes think I'm still in Nunavut dealing with the way the bureaucracy works (or often as not doesn't work) up there.

No use fretting, though. I guess it's not my fault some people are born retarded. Anyhow, like I said, we went through 2 time zones yesterday so the kids were up earlier than usual so I have to go catch up with them. Luckily, the hotel we're at has a 250-foot water slide that opens early.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Travels! Glad to hear you are making it safely across Canada (Ontario!!!) Hope your stuff arrives & is waiting for you when you reach Alberta (optimistic!)
Love your Lil sis