Monday, October 19, 2009

Black Billed Magpie

The one bird species that immediately capture our attention when we first arrived was the Black-Billed Magpie (Pica Pica). We simply don't have the birds back East. Slightly smaller than the Common Raven, they definitely catch the eye with their colours. It was also the first bird I was able to positively identify using my guidebook. We see a lot of them around the property and the area around the school. If I'm lucky, I can get the odd decent picture of them in the short grass before they head up into the trees. I took a number of pictures of them during my first week here. Often it was a hit or miss ordeal. This shot is a bit fuzzy but still the best of the bunch that I've taken so far. We look forward to seeing more of these year-round residents.



In addition to the Black-Billed Magpie and the ubiquitous Raven, we've also seen Canada Geese (Branta canadiensis), what I believe was a Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) and a variety of different sparrows, though they move way too fast for my eye distinguish individual species.

3 comments:

fireweedroots said...

Magpies are hard to catch on pictures - I have a lot of fuzzy pictures of them but not a single one decent that is even decent.

Clare said...

Hi Darcy.

I love Magpies. They're much vilified back where I grew up, but they are gorgeous birds, and very smart. Typical corvids.

Way Way Up said...

fireweedroots - Glad to know I'm not the only one. They are pretty fast to allow for a good picture...at least for my limited photographic abilities.

Clare - I got the feeling from my guidebook they are frowned upon here for bullying smaller songbirds but I enjoy them....and they add some much needed to colour to all the brown grass around the property.