Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Great Backyard Bird Count

A few days ago I was notified via email of the dates for the next Great Backyard Bird Count and can't wait. The 2010 edition will take place February 12-15, 2010. Thanks Clare for first letting me know about this citizen scientist project and getting me hooked. This will be my third year participating and unlike in past years I will have an actual backyard to scan. (Although I have to admit I'll miss the little hikes I had to take when I participated in the past two counts in Nunavut.) Being new to birding and new to Alberta I wasn't quite sure what to expect so I'm glad to have last year's results to rely on. A quick check of past lists submitted from Fort McMurray and Lac La Biche shows me I can expect to see plenty of Common Redpolls, Black-capped Chickadees, Pine Grosbeaks, Black-billed Magpies, Evening Grosbeaks, Common Ravens and maybe even some Snow Buntings.

This year will be different from the past two years, I have a nice deck from which to view our yard's winged creatures and Tamara has expressed some interest in providing an extra pair of eyes. I hope to have a decent set of field glasses to help me out as well. Now I just have to study up from my guides a bit so my eyes are on the sky and not glued to a book.

3 comments:

Clare said...

That's great Darcy. I'll have to check up on the nearest Christmas Bird Count for you and the contact info.

You may want to consider starting a bird feeder outside. You'll probably get a lot of birds where you are. Careful with the chickadees as you also get Boreal Chickadees where you are.

Clare said...

The Christmas Bird Count in Fort McMurray is definitely the closest, with Lac La Biche next. Here is a link showing contact info for the counts in Alberta

Way Way Up said...

Thanks Clare. That would be wonderful. I'm looking forward to getting a decent set of field glasses, particularly once we roll into Spring. I had also been floating the idea of putting up a feeder or two when we first arrived here and then things got pretty busy with work and what not. Thanks for the reminder!