Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The House



Since Lisa has already put a photo of the house up on our respective Facebook pages, I figure I'd go ahead and, at the risk of jinxing myself, put this little teaser up on the blog. I have to admit to being a little paranoid that things would fall flat but I am a first time home-buyer so I'm sure I can be forgiven my paranoid-ness. The first major hurtle I had to overcome was getting a letter confirming my salary. Since I had left Nunavut for Alberta, this simple letter ended up being required documentation. I had already been patiently waiting for this from my union for the past three months but now with house-related deadlines fast approaching, it took on an increasing urgency. To make a loooooong story short, the union finally overcame its cranial-rectal inversion and sent me what I needed.

Now, after time seemed to have stood still for awhile, things will get crazy busy....starting tomorrow. Lisa is subbing at the school tomorrow and then late in the afternoon we have to head into town for a banking appointment. Things should run smoothly enough and I don't expect any problems. (Did I mention we are also smack dab in the middle of report card season here? I managed to get a solid jump on them today and I still have until the end of the week to get them finished up.) We have until the 14th to get things all finalized and signed and all that fun stuff and pending that, we will take possession March 24. Two things which I take as good signs are the great interest rate my bank is giving me and the fact that the house is on a street named after my old alma mater back in Ontario.

The fun doesn't end there of course as we have a number of issues to tackle. Lisa already has clients lined up for home daycare and would like to have that all up and running at the new house for May. We're still debating whether or not to have Tamara and Nicholas remain at the school here or start attending the new school in Thickwood. It would be nice for them to have a chance to meet some new friends before the summer rolls around. I have to decide whether I will stay here in Janvier or leave my position early. Without going into too much detail, I'll say that my work here has been very challenging at times and though I'm a little leery of making myself temporarily unemployed, we are moving to Fort Mac so I'm not too worried....especially when I hear about a huge brand spanking new middle school that is due to open up in Timberlea in the fall. Then, of course, there are all the other logistics involved with packing a house and moving......again. So, as Lisa has instructed me to type....bring on the suggestions. This concludes the audience participation portion of this blog post.

Hopefully I'll have some more photos to share shortly. We've been up to see the place a couple times now but its been pretty late in the day once we got there and so not too much light for decent picture-taking. So what do we like about the place? Lisa loves its proximity to the school and parks, its quaintness and the fact that it doesn't fit the cookie-cutter mold of many of the other houses in the neighborhood. As for myself, I love the flooring (my parents are in the flooring business so what can you expect), the kitchen (because I love bright shiny objects), the his and her closets (or as I call them, the her and her closets) and the nice big deck out back. I cringe at the thought of having to build my own deck, not being very coordinated when it comes to the use of power tools.) And the kids....well, they're excited about the new school, a nearby dog park and being closer to the library, pool and skating rink at the rec centre.

So if the blog goes a little quiet toward the end of the month, its because we're packing, packing, packing. We hope to have some more pictures up shortly next time we get a chance to go through the place.

1 comment:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Definitely need more pictures!!

Sounds like a nice house for you all. Lisa will have no problem lining up kids to look after. I have a friend there who does the same thing and makes a killing.

Good luck with the job stuff and the packing! My only suggestion on the packing and moving is to do what we do; invite all your friends for beer and pizza at your old house. When they arrive tell them sorry, but they have to help you move first if they want the grub!