Saturday, May 8, 2010

Backyard Visitor

A new visitor arrived at our backyard feeder today. So we've seen two new species in the past two days. Sort of anyway, I've seen Bohemian Waxwings before but yesterday's was the first one I'd seen in who knows how long. Anyhow, the pictures leave a little (okay, a lot) to be desired. I managed to get a few shots from our kitchen window over the course of the day. What caught our attention was the distinctive black and white striped head with a touch of yellow near the eyes. The wings resembled a sparrow's. We had quite the debate about what type of bird it might be and a search through my guide book made made me think it was some sort of warbler. Still, its sparrow-like wings had me puzzled. Truth be told, to my novice eye, it looked like a sparrow, a slate-coloured junco and some other strange bird with a striped head had got melded together and formed some sort of love-child.

In the end, our mystery visitor turned out to be a White-throated Sparrow. (Thanks again, Clare.) So the warbler guess was way off but my one guide book noted that these particular sparrows can be rare visitors to this area so that has to count for something.

Here are our new visitors. Again, not the best of shots but I'll work on it.





And, because they reward us daily with an appearance, here is one of the many juncos we've seen here.

1 comment:

Bonnieupnorth said...

Love all your guesses....the Bohemian wax wings often come in large flocks and hit all the mountain ash berry trees on their migrations.