I intended to put up this post about three weeks ago but didn't get around to it so best to post it now even though the front garden is still very much a work in progress.
With the exception of the lights, this pretty much what our front garden looked like when we moved in.
Not very inviting for sure. Lisa and I had some discussion about what to do in order to brighten up the front of the house and soon got to work. The wooden framing was in rough shape from dry rot, plus I stepped on it accidentally one day while making faces through the window at Elijah. Also, it seemed just a bit too small. A bigger flower bed would be more suitable for the large front window and of course give more room for some plants and flowers to brighten things up. Initially, I had hoped to buy some cedar logs to replace the older wood but Lisa but some nice edging that better matched the house. She then enlarged the garden and I lifted off the sod and weeds. I have to say I was impressed we were able to get as much done on it as we did given that we had to work around the daycare schedule.
We were fortunate in that the previous owners had done quite a bit of gardening in the backyard and so we inherited 3 bags of potting soil which I added into the expanded garden. After perhaps two hours-worth of labour, this is how things stood...
We've gotten away from this little project in recent days as we've been busy with a multitude of other things. We do hope to add some flowers (and some much needed colour) soon. It's starting to come along now and its a nice change to the front yard.