Friday, June 4, 2010

Long Summer Evening Stroll

One of the things I've missed is the sounds and smells of the boreal forest, particularly during the late Spring/early Summer. I've taken the kids a few times to explore the Birchwood trails but this was our first outing there as a family. The kids and I saw a stretch of trail we hadn't seen before.....and I didn't get lost this time because I had Lisa!





Our first Blue Jay. It might be a little hard to spot but there is a Blue Jay sitting on a branch in the bush here. Lisa spotted it with her sharp eye and pointed it out to us. At first I wasn't quite sure what it was. I saw what looked to be some sort of all-white bird. When it took flight though, it's brilliant blue colour confirmed our first Blue Jay sighting here. It was a huge jay and looked absolutely gorgeous against the green backdrop.



Nothing like rolling down a hill through the grass. Feeling dizzy!



We are lucky to have lots of open green areas surrounding our area of town.



Part of Conn Creek which cuts a nice valley through the trail system.



Looking back down the last big hill we had to climb to get out of the valley at the end of the trail.

1 comment:

Morena said...

Oh how I miss the trees.