Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Community In Bloom

With all the big oil sands developments just a short jaunt up the highway here, many people here are only too well aware that to rabid environmentalists out there surely this community is viewed by them as the anti-Christ. Which is why I find it heartening to see that Fort Mac is among the 5 finalists for this year's Communities in Bloom. I'm quite familiar with the Ontario contenders of course, having been to them quite a few times. Kawartha Lakes is actually quite close to where I grew up. Ontario sentimentality aside though I think that Fort Mac, despite how it is often portrayed in the media, has this competition hands down.

3 comments:

Jennith said...

You don't have to be a rabid environmentalist to be concerned about the impact of the oil sands on Alberta. However, it doesn't mean that they don't have any nice gardens. I have to admit I've seen the Kawartha Lakes garden and thats pretty mean competition.

Jennith said...

And what I mean by "mean competition" is congratulations to Fort McMurray to being classed with some of the most exquisite community gardens I've ever seen.

Way Way Up said...

I have to admit that the Ontario entries will provide some great competition. I'm very interested to hear of the outcome.