Monday, October 25, 2010

The Grand Tour

After a long stretch of sending out resumes, things are starting to pay off as I've started a new position with a scaffolding company up at Suncor. After a couple days of training and orientation I started the middle of last week and have had the past 4days off before I start my regular schedule tomorrow.

As with most things in life, its not always what you know but who you know and this case is no exception. After trying for a few months to find a position without success with the college and the municipality, one of our very awesome daycare clients submitted my resume into her company up at Suncor's base plant and bingo! While I had been working in customer service, the money wasn't the greatest so after 6 months of searching around for something else, I am quite looking forward to this new position.

The job site is about 30km north of town so I have to catch the bus a little before 6am to get up there. Last Wednesday I got a ride up from Heather, our daycare client, who got me the position. She works in the office there so I was grateful for a lift so I would have an idea of where to go for my first day. The following day was a bit trickier as I took the bus up by myself for the first time. I needed to catch a second bus at the main gate in order to go back to the training camp to finish up a few things. We made one stop which I thought was my stop but it ended up that it was just a transfer point. Reassured, I dozed off, not knowing that I had already passed the main gate. A little while later, I awoke to realization that I was the only one left on the bus. Lovely. On the upside, the drive did take me back to the main gate and I did ended up getting a nice little tour of the entire plant along the way. And I did eventually get to where I needed to go and have a good first day.

I work a 10-on, 4-off schedule and tomorrow, I'm off to start my new rotation...with no plans of dozing off.

No comments: