Friday, November 26, 2010

Northern Classic

A little hockey history will be made today.....with Fort McMurray in the spotlight. For the first time ever an outdoor junior hockey game will be held down at Mac Island. The final touches on the outdoor rink were made last week and its quite a sight. Our local Alberta Junior Hockey League team, the Fort McMurray Oil Barons (also known as The MOB) will play host to Drayton Valley. I'm not too familiar with the league though I do know that the MOB had a great season last year, making it all the way to the semi-finals. Last time I checked the standings, the Oil Barons were sitting in something like 2nd or 3rd place overall in the league so I'm sure it will make for a great game. Planning for this event has been in the works for some time as I understand it and one of the goals was to break the attendance record for a junior Canadian hockey game. Looks like the organizers managed to beat that record quite handily. The previous record was something like 4400 and from what I've heard through the grapevine at work, the first block of tickets was sold out in 52 minutes. I'm sure it will be a great game and a real feather in the hat so to speak for Fort McMurray.

I wish I could say I could be there to be part of hockey history but alas, my work schedule has me occupied with other plans. Ah well. Let me join the local chorus of die-hard fans though as I shout,"GO MOB GO!"

EDIT - The MOB ended up with a 4-2 victory and set an oudoor attendence record at just over 5700 people.

No comments: