Thursday, January 20, 2011

Appointments

Getting appointments in for the pregnancy should be a pretty straight forward thing, particularly in a community pushing 80 000. You would think. Our preparation for baby has gone quite smoothly, except on this one issue. It's been a few weeks since we've had our last appointment. Lisa is the expert, so I defer to her. I'm thinking that a good 7-8 weeks between appointments is a little ridiculous. We have yet to have an appointment with a gynecologist yet and the next appointment she does have is with a nurse! Are you kidding me?!

We've had no cause for alarm. I just hope the medical services here get their collective act together, especially since she has always delivered early. She's told me that if she goes full term and the baby is more than about 7lbs, I'm in big trouble as she prefers natural childbirth. I'm not sure I can deliver on that but I hope the powers that be get their act together.

4 comments:

Morena said...

Sounds like you're feeling a little of my frustration with prenatal care. But you shouldn't be feeling that in a city...

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Seeing a nurse for a regular pregnancy is just fine! I saw doctor just once for 8 months when we lived in Kugluktuk and I only saw her because she did the ultrasounds there.

And same in Faro- only traveling doctors come through and the stuff that they do, the nurses are just as qualified to do and are usually much less rushed and much friendlier than a doctor. Matt actually did almost all of my appointments for both pregnancies!

We need to make better use of our nurses, especially when it comes to pregnancy.

Don't worry Darcy! :)

-N- said...

Generally, in an uncomplicated pregnancy, a prenatal sees a health practitioner every 4 weeks until 28 weeks. From 28 weeks to 36 weeks it's every 2 weeks, then weekly until delivery. In many northern communities (not sure about yours), it typically is a nurse providing the prenatal care, so don't be too worried about that. The nurse will refer (or should) to the MD if anything is unusual. 7-8 weeks is definitely longer than the standards, at least in most provinces, but I think it's pretty similar in all areas of Canada.

Way Way Up said...

No worries now as we've been reassured that everthing is progressing as it should. We just figured that given the size of the city Lisa would be seen by a doctor but all is well.