Friday, January 7, 2011

Sometimes We Just Have To Look Out Our Front Window

One of the things I really love about the house is the fact that we have two big ash trees gracing our front yard. Whether I'm in the living room or the master bedroom, I can usually count on some colourful surprises. In this case, it was a flock of 15-20 Evening Grosbeaks that have been making fairly regular mid-morning appearances.

This past weekend we looked out to see not only Grosbeaks but also some Waxwings mixed in. As much as I'd like, I can never seem to get a good picture of the Waxwings (one of my favorites) before they take off. They are rather skittish and usually a single raven or magpie will send them scattering. The Grosbeaks thankfully tend to stand their ground a little better. At any rate, the trees' red berries are making quite a smorgasbord for our feather friends judging from the mess they leave on the ground and the van.











I also caught a glimpse of a reddish coloured bird a few days ago amongst the Grosbeaks. At first, I thought my mind was playing tricks on me and that it might have just been a female Evening Grosbeak. (It flew by quite quickly and I have learned not to assume every new bird I see is a new species when it is usually just a female or the light is playing tricks on me.) Anyhow, the mystery bird showed up again and though it's not a great picture, I'm pretty sure it's a Pine Grosbeak.



Always nice to start off the new year with a new sighting to add to my list.

No comments: