Saturday, February 12, 2011

Stage Drama...Life Drama

Lisa and I did something last night we haven't had much opportunity to do lately - have a night to ourselves. We went to see a production of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" at Keyano College. Turns out life imitated art and we had our own little drama afterward...but I'll get to that.

I had put in an extra work day yesterday and was on the bus home when Lisa gave me a call. One of the daycare clients manages a hotel here and as his establishment is a sponsor of the Keyano College Theatre, he ended up with a couple free tickets and had passed them along to Lisa. Its been a long time since I've seen any sort of live theatre event and so I didn't want to pass up this opportunity. The tickets came with two free tickets for the bar and since obviously Lisa isn't drinking, I was found with two in my pocket. No, I didn't get a chance to use them but at least I got to walk around with them in my nice dress up clothes and feel like "the Man," however illusory.

I'm not as familiar with Victor Hugo's novel as I wish I was and like I said, it's been a long time since I've been in a theatre. Fort McMurray has a reputation as a backwoods, lunch-bucket town without much in the way of culture (very undeserved, I should add), so I came to the show not knowing what we'd see. Turns out we loved it. Much of the cast went through the theatre program at the University of Alberta and we were treated to a high calibre performance in an intimate setting.

Even the baby enjoyed the performance as we started to feel a lot of movement during all the big ensemble numbers toward the end of the first act. We were looking forward to partaking in some of the yummy food in the lobby that came as part of our free tickets but Nature had an alternate finale to the evening's performance.

Lisa made a quick bathroom stop right after leaving the auditorium and returned to the lobby to tell me she was bleeding a little bi, and wanted to head to the hospital right away. Luckily, the hospital is only a short drive from the college so off we went, with a million thoughts in my head. To cut a long evening short, things turned out okay. The doctor was convinced it might be a urinary tract infection that may be causing some premature labour. We found the doctor a little gruff and frankly a tad ignorant in some of the comments he made. I'm no medical expert but I'm confident that since this is her 5th pregnancy, Lisa knows her body quite well.

At any rate, we now know exactly where to go to find the maternity ward (2nd floor, hang two rights once you get off the elevator) and she is far enough along that we can head directly there if and when needed rather than wasted time going through emerg.. I remember at one point saying something like, "So I guess this is our dry run, huh?" while we were waiting for the doctor. Lisa made out okay in the end though I know there were moments of discomfort for her.

As for myself, well, I sat at the business end of the bed and I'll admit there were moments of awkwardness. Throughout the checkup I stayed pretty much in the background as the medical staff mostly addressed Lisa so I felt a bit like an added appendage. On a brighter note, I now have a small taste of things to come which is a good thing. I plan on being "hands on" and involved as much as I can. If the impending arrival of baby was a bit of chimera up to last night, it is definitely very real in the mind now.

No comments: