Friday, April 8, 2011

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Finally, after a loong northern Alberta winter that seemed it would never end, we are getting our warm up. The mercury has recently been flirting with the low double-digit mark. We did get socked with a good snow dump last April, but the majority of our snow has now melted so I'm hopfull it will be a long time before we see it again. The only thing left now is the ice on the Athabasca.

This is only our second spring here so we don't have much to go on. Last year I recall the river break up occuring a few days before we moved into the city here. This year its a little behind schedule, or at least year's break up date. Anyone who has ever experienced the sight of breaking ice on one of our great northern rivers knows it can been quite the spectacle. The ice has been growing noticeably thinner, at least on the stretches I can see when I'm up at work so I'm sure that any day now, break up, which I take as a sure sign that Spring is right around the corner, will be underway.

For now, we just watch and wait.

No comments: