Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day Of Mourning

Today marks the rather sombre National Day of Mourning, commemorating those who have been killed or injured on the job or who have suffered a workplace-related illness. We've been fortunate at work not have suffered anything terribly serious. I think that as an older worker I'm in a little bit better shape when it comes to recognizing hazards and pacing myself so I don't get hurt, though of course I don't want to sound complacent here.

At the risk of sounding overly partisan here, I think Suncor has a pretty solid safety record. Of course no plan is perfect but safety is something that is a major focus and is definitely hammered home during our weekly safety meetings.

The sad reality, however, is that not everyone arrives home safely at the of the work day and so in recognition of that, all the boys on our shift observed a moment of silence before the start of the work day this morning.

Safety is something that is always at the forefront of my mind with a young family. Everyday I pass a sign on site picturing two little girls with a caption underneath reading, "Please drive careful. Our Dad works here." That pretty much sums it up for me.

No comments: