Sunday, April 3, 2011

Turn Around Shut Down

I don't post that often about work because I generally don't have a lot of time. During a typical shift I can spend up to 13 hours a day out of the house when you factor in transportation times and also, its not always that exciting working in -40C.

One thing I did want to mention though was Turn Around and Shut Down. No, its not some sort of exotic dance but rather a time frame in which the various plants on site are "shut down" for annual maintenance. This is a particularly busy time for the company I work for given that in preparation for this maintenance, all the scaffolding in the various plants must also be removed, cleaned and replaced. And we're talking about an awful lot of scaffolding here. I honestly never realized just how much scaffolding there is at Suncor alone. And "shut downs" occur at many different projects aside from Suncor of course. My employer also holds contracts with Syncrude and Nexen and I'm sure a few others I'm not aware of.

Anyway, what all of this means for little old me is that I can expect to be busy until at least the end of next month. While I will continue my original weekend schedule, starting Monday, I will begin and end work an hour later. I'm not sure quite at the moment about my busing for work, but at least I'll have an hour to sleep in and think about it.

No comments: