Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Long, Long Shift

I know my posts have been a little short the past few days, but I plan to have more substance soon. The primary reason for such short posts has been because of my busy work schedule. I put in to work over the long weekend when my shift was supposed to be off and then in order to stay on my regular shift I had to keep working through last week and then back onto my shift. So I've pretty much been going full tilt with what amounts to 12-13 hour work days (when you factor in the bus ride to and from site) ever since May 9th. Long days for sure but at least the weather has been cooperative.

I'll definitely be happy to have a few days off coming up toward the end of the week. For the most part, I enjoy the work. I have to admit the scaffolding trade was never something I though I'd ever get into much less survive but so far I can't complain. As luck would have it, we've had 3 college students from the U.S. join our yard for the summer and one of them just happens to be the son of the president of our company. I've spent a couple days helping him get his bearings and joked with him that when he goes back to Louisiana State for the fall I'll send him back with a pile of resumes stapled to him for his father's perusal. Not that I'm at all unhappy with my current position, but really, how often does the big bosses son end up working right beside you. Aluma is headquartered in the states and is a major player in our line of work here in Alberta but I digress.

On a different note, for those who may be wondering, the smoke from nearby forest fires hasn't been too bad, although there were a couple days where it was quite bad with ash falling from the sky and I came home feeling quite headachey and irritable. It seems the forest fire smoke has fallen into a pattern where it clears up as the day progresses and the wind picks up and then settles down into the valley overnight and during the morning commute. Lisa and I were downtown briefly last evening and the smell was rather nasty. It generally isn't that bad for us up in Thickwood but we feel pretty bad for the folks living downtown or in Waterways. Generally, all this smoke has been more of a nuisance than anything else, but still enough to play havoc at some oil sands sites.

Anyhow, I do have a few other items I plan to post about, including a much anticipated outing to a historical part of the city (assuming I can finally get out there this weekend) and an exciting new opportunity for Lisa, but these will have to wait a little for the time being.

No comments: