Saturday, June 18, 2011

Black-Billed Magpie

They are pretty common birds here and many might see them as a nuisance, but the Black-Billed Magpie was the first bird to grab my attention after I arrived here and they are still one of my favorites. Their white wing markings are quite striking in flight and their long tails give them something of a pre-historic, exotic feel. They are also the only bird I've seen out here so far that don't back down from ravens when it comes to grabbing anything that might be considered food. Definitely adaptable too, as I've seen them in many different environments from out at work, to downtown, to neighborhood lawns, to thick forest, to water's edge.







2 comments:

DA said...

I had never seen a magpie before two weeks ago here in Fort Mac, and didn't have a clue what kind of bird it was, but it's very striking when one first encounters their curiously...confident behaviours. Saw one on site yesterday, up close - very heavy, strong beak like a crow, but with a wonderful coloration and distinctive tail feather. They're pretty nifty birds indeed.

Way Way Up said...

They're pretty bold too.....I've seen them hold their ground many times against ravens around food many times.