Monday, June 20, 2011

Flicker

A weekend outing in search of a pair of blue-winged teals which I knew frequented a nearby storm pond instead turned out a species I had yet to see....and one that was on my list of birds I was hoping to be able to cross off my list by summer's end. I barely noticed it up an old dead tree and I'm not even sure how I managed to spot it in the first place other than through pure dumb luck but sometimes dumb luck is all it takes. At any rate, I could tell what it was as soon as I saw it by the shape of its beak - a Northern Flicker.

Not the best of photos but the best I could do with my limited abilities.





And with the addition of the Northern Flicker to my life list I've pretty much seen all known species of woodpecker that frequent our portion of the province.

No comments: