Thursday, June 9, 2011

Redhead

Once upon a time the Snye was a short tributary of the Athabasca, feeding water into it from the Clearwater. It also separated MacDonald Island from the downtown. During the 1960's a causeway was built connecting the island to the mainland and turning the Snye into an urban marsh. Though the causeway construction was controversial at the time, it has created a nice birding habitat, not to mention a popular place for hockey during the winter months. It also provided me with a chance encounter with a redhead.



I got some fantastic views through the binoculars but unfortunately this sad photo is the best I can do. Its constant diving and my "hit and miss" luck with digi-scoping meant I was shut out on this particular day. This redhead was just playing hard to get.

No comments: