Sunday, July 3, 2011

Pileated Woodpecker...Now In Silhouette

If there's one thing I love about the river valley here its that it seems there is always one more new trail to discover. Initially, I didn't see much in the way of bird life since I had to concentrate on keeping my footing on the wet ground....and also try to figure out exactly where I was going. A couple twists and turns and it seemed the trail completely petered out on me and I was left crashing and banging through the brush trying to fight my way back to the main trail.

In the end though, it was all worth it. There were a couple of new birds (new to me anyway) that I couldn't make out in the dim light but I did spot my first Black and White Warbler, which landed on a branch quite close to me. I also saw what I think may have been a Swainson's Thrush, though I didn't get a long look at it since it flew off after a few seconds. Having finally found the trail again, and walking quickly so as not to get rained on more than necessary, I startled a Northern Flicker out of the undergrowth, which quickly took to the air and disappeared.

Mother Nature provided one last treat as I came across not one, but two Pileated Woodpeckers atop a couple of tall tree stumps. Unfortunately, light conditions weren't the greatest and my photos left a little to be desired, although I did get a pretty interesting silhouette shot.

No comments: