Sunday, August 28, 2011

Birds Across The Pond

I was looking through some old photos this morning from a couple of European trips when I realized I had a few decent bird photos hidden away in the collection. I wasn't really into birding at the time so I'm not sure why I took the photos although now I'm glad I did.

I won't pretend to be an expert in the identifications here but for the most part I'm assuming these are just variants of their North American counterparts. Feel free to correct me if you wish.

Brussels, Belgium, June 2007. This was my very first bird photo I took Europe, in a local park near my uncle's home.



This photo, of a Eurasian Coot, was taken in Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic in July of 2007.



These ducks (some sort of Mallard?) were photographed at the same location as the picture above.



Storks in their nest atop the chimney of an old brewery in the always fun to pronounce town of Jindrichuv Hradec, Czech Republic.




I came across these little guys, along with the adults in the shot below it, in a small pond in the UNESCO-designated town of Telc, once again during my 2007 Czech Republic trip. Looking back, I really wish I had had a pair of binoculars handy that day.





Inspite of all the strudel I ate, I was able set my fork down long enough to capture this brave fellow in the resort town of Karlovy Vary. It reminds me very much of the rock doves I've seen here in northern Alberta.



More storks....this time along a road side in Hungary in 2008 not far from the border with Austria.



Swans along the western shoreline of Hungary's Lake Balaton.



Yet more storks, this time taken in Gyula, close to the Hungarian/Romanian border.






No comments: