Sunday, October 9, 2011

Great Blue Heron



The Great Blue Heron is the one non-passerine I remember most from growing up in Ontario. You could take a drive out in the county and see their nests atop telephone poles or catch glimpses of a solitary specimen in a small pond or wet land. In flight, they are simply magnificent to watch. I was amazed at (and still am) at how a bird of its size manages to get off the ground. From what (little) I know we're a bit to the north of the heron's range here in our little corner of Alberta. (But you never know, I didn't expect to see robins and blue jays here and we do, so I hold out hope.) In the meantime, I enjoy this fine specimen. The photo was taken in the summer of 2009, near the Wood Islands light house on the south east coast of Prince Edward Island.

No comments: