Monday, November 28, 2011

Apparently There's A Sign For That

In our industry there are a number of different hand signs used by scaffolders for all the different materials. I'm not sure off the top of my head how many different scaffolding parts we have but it is a pretty big list. I got chatting with one of the other foreman this morning and he went through all the signals with me. We don't really have much use for them in the yard but its something you need to know if you're out "in the field" obviously. Anyhow, I've always been fascinated with different languages and always saw these signals and just another form of communication. I've come to know a few of them but was interested to know more.

So the foreman ran through them quickly and I was pretty pleased with how quickly I picked them up if I do say so myself. (I DO have a pretty good memory for certain things, though I know that perhaps Lisa might dispute this.) The hand signals were all good practical information, including one that I think might be VERY practical should you find yourself atop a scaffold in a certain situation. Yes, there is even a hand signal to show that you have to go pee! Seriously. Who knew?

Presumably the same signal you would use for a "number 1" can also be used for a "number 2".


Random photo of the day. Historical church in Fort McMurray's heritage park, one of my favorite buildings down there.

No comments: