Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ah, The Life Of A Contractor

I tried sitting down once and thinking about all the different contractors that work out at site. I know, I know.....but it was a long ride home that particular day. Anyhow, the number of companies I came up with off the top of my head grew until I couldn't keep track of them all in my head. My employer is but one of at least a handful other companies that deals with scaffolding out at site. I heard something like 1000 companies bid on all the contracts that are available at all the different projects.

As pertains to my work, our current contract was due to expire at year's end and unfortunately the men in suits in ivory towers down in Calgary have spoken. A competing bid was successful which means we will be relinquishing our yard in the new year. Such is the life of a contractor. Don't worry though, I won't be finished up tomorrow as there is a transition period of 120 days so I have plenty of time to get my resume out there. Likely, many of the guys will go "into the field" as apprentice scaffolders, something I've given some thought to over the past year. Some will likely get taken in by the new contractor or stay with the company and head to other projects. So there are plenty of options. This IS Fort McMurray after all.

No comments: