Sunday, January 1, 2012

Of Books and B&B's

With the new year comes a chance for reflection and to set some new goals. Two long-term goals that have been increasingly on my mind lately are ones I've had for a few years now and I'm slowly starting to plan out for them. First, my goal of operating my own Bed and Breakfast one day. I'd start tomorrow if I could but of course I will take the time to do my homework on it. There are a few areas of the country I've been considering and its been a lot of fun so far imagining the final product. I'm a tad young compared to most people who get into the Bed and Breakfast field so I know I still have plenty of time. In the mean time I have a couple tenants in place so I see this as a practice run for running a B&B in the future. That and some much needed bathroom renovations should keep me busy enough.

I know that it will be a lot of work but I hope to take some of my time while operating my future B&B to pursue goal number 2, writing a book. Friends and family that have been following both this blog and my Nunavut blog have often told me I really should sit down and write a book about all my experiences. At first, this was just a fantasy of sorts, but lately I've been giving it more serious thought. In addition to my blogs I have a number of journals going back to about 2001 I hope to draw material from as well. I figure if I rely solely on my blogs for material, people will just read those rather than buying my book. I've always been an avid reader, so writing a book seems the next logical step. Anyhow, I'll see how things shape up in the new year. It's always good to start off the new year with lofty goals.

Northern Alberta morning, 2009

12 comments:

UnkleB said...

Come back to your motherland, I know of the perfect house north of Minden!

Way Way Up said...

Minden huh? I've been looking at a few areas back east. I don't think I could afford a B&B out here unless I find a suitcase full of money somewhere. I like Nova Scotia or PEI but there are a few areas of Ontario I haven't counted out. Time will tell.

Unkle B said...

Okay then how about Dildo?

http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?&PropertyId=11115276&PidKey=34542717

Way Way Up said...

That's quite the place! I can only imagine coming up with a good name.

Unkle B said...

http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?&PropertyId=11402830&PidKey=1711522042

Way Way Up said...

Very unique property. I'm not sure I could run a B&B so close to all those wineries though. If they didn't close I'm not sure I'd ever leave.

Unkle B said...

How about buying your own scholl? The possibilities are endless!
http://www.gardnerauctions.com/view_auction.php?auction_ID=423

Way Way Up said...

That would make quite the little pad.

Unkle B said...

And I guess that I should proof read my comments.

Unkle B said...

this would make a good B&B
http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?&PropertyId=11462121&PidKey=1407299105

Way Way Up said...

....and soo close to Tim Horton's AND Canadian Tire too.

Unkle B said...

And if you need a good deal on flooring I can hook you up ;-)