Sunday, March 25, 2012

Help... aka I Want To Get This Right And Don't Want Someone To Walk In There In The Future And Say. "Well, Obviously This Was Planned Out By A Man."

A bathroom face lift has been something on my "to do" list for awhile now....a painfully long time to be honest. It's a 6X7 room. How hard can this really be? I had hoped to have had it taken care of by now but with work and other things in life demanding more of my attention this project was relegated to the back burner. This weekend though, I find myself with a little more time to devote toward planning it all out, helped in part by the fact that the snow outside makes it a little to mucky to be out exploring some trails.

So I'm rearing to go here. But I must admit to feeling a bit nervous, because although I have a pretty good picture in my mind's eye about what I'd like the end result to be, the devil, of course in the details and I don't want to mess things up. So...I thought I would put a few pictures up on my little blog to show readers what I'm dealing with here.

So here is the upstairs bath pretty much as it was when I bought it (minus the shower doors I took out) in all its chocolate brown glory...





Ain't it lovely? That lino is sooo '80's. Let's take a closer look at it, shall we? I should also mention that the floor is uber-squeaky in a few places and very annoying on the ears to listen to. I can't wait to get that dealt with.

Yeah, yuck!

I'll give you a moment to gather yourself.

Ok, so here's what I have in mind. Obviously, the flooring has to go. I'd like to put in something dark, like a black vinyl or perhaps tile. And I bought this sink here back in January to replace the existing one...

It's a bit smaller than the original but I like the colour and the sink/counter is all one piece. I'd like to keep the mirrors to create that illusion of a bigger space and put in some track lighting above the vanity. I'm hoping to pick up a new light fixture tomorrow along with the faucet for the vanity. Finally, the place could use some paint so I'm thinking something blue much like what I have in the half-bath off the kitchen downstairs.

(If you're thinking this bathroom was designed by a woman, yes, you'd be correct.)

So there you have it. I won't get a start on this project this weekend though I hope to have all the things I need in order to do it by the end of the day tomorrow. (I will add that I'm not a handyman so I'll hire someone to do the work. I"m flirting with the idea of putting in a new throne and tub but if I can at least get the flooring and vanity dealt with at a minimum I'll be more than happy.) I hope my explanation isn't too vague but feel free to drop me a line here or on Facebook and tell me what you think or of any suggestions you might have. It would be appreciated.

3 comments:

dogsled_stacie said...

That vinyl looks like old wallpaper in my childhood home circa 1977 or so!

Good luck, renovating is sooooo much fun!!! :)

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Ohhh that bathroom is nasty! The blue one looks really nice. Go with a nice grey paint in the new bathroom and then black cupboards and other accents!

Anonymous said...

If you're going to replace the flooring, you're going to have to pull the toilet anyway. So you'd might as well change it at the same time.