Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My Kingdom For A Can Opener

I always find it amusing the reactions I sometimes get when people hear of my academic background. What?! You have three university degrees! You must be pretty smart!

Well, perhaps. Usually when I hear things like this my response is simply that yes, there may be a few things I know a heck of a lot about BUT there are also a heck of a lot of other things that I know very little about. International relations and politics, got it; Baroque-period music, check; how to play a few musical instruments, simple enough; various aspects of WWII history or bird watching, no problem. I've even picked up a workable vocabulary in a half dozen languages over the years.

However, some things escape me....the terminology in my mortgage documents, knots and lashings, general fashion sense, Justin Bieber fans. And now, apparently, can openers.




Seriously now. How hard can these things be to use? Earlier this week the one I had broke so I thought I'd pick one up at the grocery store so I don't starve before my shift ends. There was only one type of can opener there but it looked cool, and really, a can opener is a can opener. All it has to do is open a can. That's all I expect of it.

Only, after initial luck where I got it to work the first time I tried it, I haven't for the life of me been able to get it to work since. I'm pretty sure it's not broken since there are very few moving parts. It's one simple piece and not like those old-fashioned metal kind with the handles that you squeeze together like scissors. Speaking of scissors, that's what I eventually ended up using to pry open a can when I ran out of patience and gave up on the can opener. it wasn't pretty but at least I was able to finish making my lunch for work the following day.

So perhaps I'll eventually figure it out. I have 5 days off coming up in which to do so. At least the crazy contraption looks cool.....but still, it would be nice if I could figure the silly thing out.

4 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

ahahhahah You just need to be smarter than the can opener....

Way Way Up said...

That's a tall order at the end of a long work shift. One of my tenant's, a co-worker of mine, couldn't figure it out either. Guess we work together....and starve together.

Morena said...

Could it be one of those ones that cuts right right off the top rather than just the inside of the ring?

Way Way Up said...

It is actually...and it did a great job when I got it to work the first time I used it.