Friday, May 18, 2012

Exploring the Forks

Some of the very first photos I took in Fort McMurray were of the forks down at MacDonald Island where the Clearwater feeds into the Athabasca. Since I had some time today and now that flood risks have past I spent an hour this afternoon down at Mac Island taking in the views. It was fairly overcast but other than a few light sprinkles, the rain held off.

Looking downstream from the northern tip of MacDonald Island.


One of the things I love is the sandy rock faces that can be found spread along the course of the river.  The one here is actually  part of Rocke Island around which the Clearwater passes before emptying into the Athabasca River.



Muddy flats between MacDonald Island and Rocke Island.  I imagine this area is much faster flowing during Spring run off.  I was tempted to tiptoe out for a better view but found it just a bit too muddy for the shoes i was wearing.


Evidence that not just humans enjoy all that Mac Island has to offer.


No comments: