Friday, June 29, 2012

Mr. Vogan

It was with a heavy heart that I learned today that a much loved and respected high school teacher back home, Mr. Vogan,  had passed away from cancer.  It still feels rather surreal and I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what to say.  Ron just seemed to be one of those figures in your life you figured would be around forever so his passing comes as a great shock.   I knew Mr. Vogan from way back when I was in grade school.  His youngest son is the same age as me.  He was just an all round friendly person and when I think of his big smile in my mind's eye, he makes me smile even after having graduated almost 20 years ago.

If there's one thing I'll always remember, it was Mr. Vogan's patience with me when it came to computers.  And believe me, when it comes to technology, I needed a patient mentor (I still do)  I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I ran to him in a panic thinking the computer or printer had eaten an essay or assignment.  Or the number of times I continuously hit the "print" button when the old dot matrix printer in the lab was out of ink, sending God knows how many blank sheets through the printer.  I'm sure I killed off a small forest during my high school years by doing this.

Mr. Vogan was one of those individuals that played such an important part in school life.  Truthfully, there were so many things that I wouldn't be able to list them all, though I know many of his former students would put his involvement with the many ski trips at the top of their list.

My sincere condolences to the Vogan family this evening.  To Anne, Jonathan and Stephen, my heart goes out to you.  Mr. Vogan was a wonderful, genuine man and he will be greatly missed. 


No comments: