Saturday, June 16, 2012

Strange Invader

I happened across an interesting story of a rare muskox sighting courtesy of a local online forum I frequent and thought I would post it here.  Muskoxen are one of those quintessential northern creatures and a rare treat if you happen upon one, though its a good idea to keep your distance as they can be rather aggressive and unpredictable.  Imagine the lodge guests' surprise when news of a muskox sighting surfaced.  A rare treat indeed.

I wasn't lucky enough to see a live muskox when I lived up in Nunavut since I spent my entire time there on Baffin Island and these animals are found much further west. I'm not exactly sure where North Leland Lake is though I have heard of it.  This is the first time I've ever heard of a wild muskox making it to Alberta although this fellow would still have to travel quite a distance to reach us here.

No comments: