Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Weather's Plans Differed From Mine

One of the challenges of living here is trying to fit your life around your work schedule. Long work days mean there are a myriad of other tasks that can get put on the back burner...until you have days off at least. With the number of extra days I had been working since May the number of things on my "to do" list seemed huge. Mind you not all of them were urgent, but there were just a few things I felt had been put off for too long and I just wanted them out of the way. Not only was this past weekend a chance for respite, it was my chance to start hacking away at my "to do" list. I suppose I should have realized how fool-hardy it would be to try to accomplish anything on a busy long weekend. Stores were crazy and traffic was, well, probably just normal Fort McMurray traffic, so rather than waste my time off immersed in a shopping frenzy I stuck around the house for the most part. Rainy weather also put a dent in some of my plans but such is life.

On a bright note, I did manage to look at some flooring for my bathroom, although trying to decide on the right colour was more difficult than I thought. No one will ever accuse me of being the most colour-coordinated of people. In any event at least it was a chance to see what was available. I also had some quiet time to tuck into a novel (the first book of a trilogy) I'd been planning to re-read to re-fresh my memory before the second installment comes out later this month. Inspite of the rain, I also spied a visitor I hadn't seen in my front yard before..a purple finch. I have seen them before (back in May) so not very often and I don't recall seeing one this close to the house before. True, it's not the best photo, but I was trying to keep the cat out of my way as she was perched on the window sill and seemed very interested in our little visitor.

   

 Between rain showers yesterday, a more common visitor arrived.

 

No comments: