Sunday, November 4, 2012

Avian Acrobatics

I must profess that my inner 5-year-old emerged yesterday when I noticed a blue jay (two of them actually) at the backyard feeders. Since I've lived here I haven't been lucky enough to see one in the backyard (or front yard for that matter). I would see them in other yards but never mine. Until yesterday. A tenant told me she had seen them earlier in the week but since she described them only as blue and white birds that scared the other birds away and could barely fit on the feeder, I assumed they were magpies and thought nothing else of it.

Over the course of last two days this jay has been a pretty regular guest....with a ravenous appetite.  The feeder in the second and third photos was filled Saturday morning and by early Sunday afternoon it was, as you can see, already half empty.



I had fun watching this guy bending himself into a pretzel to eat.


It's looking like a very entertaining winter season already.

3 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

I need to get some feeders up on my back deck! Entertainment for the boys and cats.

Way Way Up said...

I must have had at least two dozen sparrows in the front yard the past couple of mornings and the cat was going insane watching them.

Not quite as brave when the ravens do a fly-by though.

Jeka said...

Love this in Nunavut I miss the birds at feeders like I use to have back home!

I also nominated your blog for a Liebster award! You can find more info from my post http://jekaofnunavut.blogspot.ca/2012/11/liebster-award-nomination.html