Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Confederation Overpass Opens

I was beginning to think I'd never see it happen, but after a few delays, the Confederation Overpass opened for traffic today. While I normally doze off on the bus ride to work, I'll suck back a little extra caffeine tomorrow for the ride in so I can see how things go.  I would have seen it on my ride home from work earlier this evening if I hadn't have dozed off.  Theoretically, with the Thickwood overpass (which opened last year) and the Confed. overpass now in place, you should be able to travel Highway 63 north out of the downtown core without delays.

Except...there is still road work ongoing between the two overpasses and two of our three bridges are being worked on.  Add to that the fact that even after you travel pass the two overpasses, you still hit a set of lights at the industrial park, plus the temporary delays you run in to north of ALL THAT around where they are going to build yet another overpass to the future subdivision of Parsons Creek.

Don't get me wrong here.  This infrastructure is sorely needed and the Confed. overpass plays a vital role in this.    I just think it will still be some time before traffic flow here is smoothed out, or at least as smooth as it can be for such a bustling place like Fort McMurray.  All this infrastructure has been ongoing ever since I moved here two-and-a-half years ago so I've never known what it was like without it.   Given how long it takes the government to twin a highway, I'll take what I can get.  The road ahead has gotten shorter, but only just by a little.

I won't get an opportunity to do it for a couple more weeks at least, but next time I'm able to, I plan to catch a Timberlea bus from downtown just so I have an opportunity to travel over the new overpass.

No comments: