Thursday, January 17, 2013

Into The Field

Today just seemed like one of those days.....and it wasn't even Monday.  Snow, wind, cold, more snow, a broken generator, more cold.  There was one bright spot though, not completely unexpected but greatly welcomed nonetheless.  And it actually had nothing to do with the potential big change I alluded to in my New Year's post either.

Beginning very shortly, either the end of the month or early next month, I'll be heading out "into the field".  This is industry talk meaning that I will be down in the plant at Suncor, working with scaffolders rather than in the yards....in the "rear with the gear", to borrow a military phrase.  It will mean a nice change of scenery, more opportunity and more hours, even though, yes, I was hoping to cut back a bit this year.

This new move is something I had played with in my mind for some time and indeed it became a bit of a running good-natured joke at work about when I would decide to "get out of Kindergarten and play with the big kids."  Due to trying to figure out what direction I wanted my life to head in, debating what to do with the house and a few personal issues, it was something I had kept putting off.  But I figured, why wait any longer?  I can be indecisive and make a bit more money while I'm at it, at least.  Yes, I can multi-task.  Plus, as I mentioned above it will be a nice change of scenery.

I've always thought of myself more of a cerebral guy than a physical guy so the fact that I can change to this type of work after leading an academic life for so long and the fact that my foreman and general foreman feel I'm competent enough to do the job, has me flattered.

I'm going to look forward very much to strapping on that new tool belt.

No comments: