Saturday, January 12, 2013

Oh Christoph, I Feel For You

I've discovered some new music tonight and decided to soak it up.  Now,  I had come across the name Christoph Graupner through my music studies but for the most part, it was just a name.  Its rather unfortunate that his music isn't as well-known as Bach, Telemann or Vivaldi (he was a contemporary) but due to the circumstances of history, that's just the way it goes.

I've just finished listening to a short choral piece that Graupner wrote as an audition piece.  He wrote it in hopes of securing a position as cantor of St. Thomas Church in Leipzig when the post became vacant  about 1723.  His superiors were impressed enough that he was offered the position, although in the end, the post ended up going to JS Bach.  And it was here that Bach wrote many of his works that are so well-known today, including the bulk of the surviving 200+ cantatas, his B Minor Mass, his St. Matthew Passion, his St. John Passion....and I could go on.

As for poor Christoph?  He died in 1760 and pretty much faded into obscurity.  So why do I bring this up?  Yes, I feel ignored.  I actually hate writing about this sort of thing since I grew up the child of small business owners and can appreciate them having to deal with obnoxious, bitchy customers.  But I'll stew here and poke a little fun at the level of customer service I've experienced in town here the past several days.  SO I had waited over a week to get a quote on some new flooring for my bathroom.  After emailing the store (twice), I got an email back this afternoon telling me they couldn't complete the quote as no flooring had been selected.  Now, I'm really annoyed they pointed that out because, having grown up with parents in the flooring business, its not like I didn't realize this.  Only, the thing is, I certainly DID pick out some flooring, a decent white lino with a bit of grey to it, and showed it to the salesman as he took down my information.   I took off my old toilet and bought a new one which I can't put in until the new flooring is in so the things has been languishing in my hallway for a week now.  Plus I was told I would have to sink some screws into the floor to get out the squeaks as they don't (or won't) do that.   Yikes, if I knew it was going to be this much of a hassle I would have just bought a piece of flooring last week and put it in myself.

Now, prior to getting the above-mentioned email, I did go to a second flooring place.  Perhaps I should be more a of a jerk because getting assistance was a bit of a challenge as the office help was pre-occupied with ordering soup for lunch and listening to a rather horrid rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

At this point, I'm not quite sure what to do.  I'll have to wait until my next days off regardless.  I did find a third option in town here, a place called End of the Roll.  Which is appropriate because I feel like I'm at the end of my rope here.


No comments: