Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Local MLA Mike Allen Arrested

When I caught wind that one of our local MLA's had resigned I initially thought it was some sort of joke since our provincial election was barely over a year ago.  But no, turns out Fort McMurray-Wood Buffalo MLA Mike Allen resigned after being caught in a prostitution sting while down in Minnesota.  The Edmonton Journal and CBC Edmonton provide details.  Even SUN News, the cheerleaders of Conservatives everywhere, covered this story so you know it must be true.

Obviously an incredibly stupid move in any situation and doubly so given that he was on government business at the time.  I really debated what to write here as it would be so easy to make a political statement and really, I'm no fan of the Alberta Conservatives as of late.  Allen did defeat the former incumbent - a Conservative-turned-Independent-turned-Wildrose candidate who just seemed to come across as arrogant and annoying, so in that sense I didn't mind his election.

Still, this really does irk me in many ways.  There was a time when I followed politics almost religiously and bought into the infantile fantasy that elected officials served some greater good.  Obviously, those days are now long gone.  Still, I find myself wondering....wouldn't it be wonderful if we actually could have elected officials that truly did serve people, rather than their own selfish inclinations?




2 comments:

Dave @ Around Anchorage, Alaska said...

Good question. Different countries, same problem.

Christel said...

This is fantastic!