Saturday, August 3, 2013

Fill 'Er Up!

Since I haven't posted in about a million years I thought I'd kick things off again with something other than a post about overpasses or the foibles of politicians, namely a little act of kindness from a random stranger.  I know this town can get a bad rap in many and while I know my humble blog won't change the world I do like to highlight good things about the community when I get a chance.

I had to make a quick run downtown with one of my tenants....actually it would be more accurate to say I got a lift.  Before I headed out I grabbed my jerry can out of the back shed for some gas so I would be able to mow the lawn.  Once at the gas station and as I was about to fill up, a gentleman at the next pump asked how much I was getting.  I'm not sure he saw the jerry can in my hand at first as the pump likely blocked his view of it and perhaps he was puzzled by some random guy walking up and staring at the pump (I don't buy gas very often.)  Just enough to fill up my jerry can, I told him.

At that point he took the nozzle out of his car and started filling up my can, just like that.  I thanked the man who then went back to finish filling up his vehicle.  When I asked him what I owed him ( the pump was up to about $15 or so at that point.  He politely declined payment and carried on with his own fill up.  The full jerry can will easily last me the remainder of the summer so it was a nice little bonus to be getting it free.

I asked him again about the cost and he again told me not to worry about it.  After a long, hot work day this generosity from a complete stranger was a much-welcomed gesture.  And so to the random gentleman I encountered at the gas station at the Superstore in downtown Fort McMurray I say thank you for your time.  In a world where it is all too easy to become cynical with the way the world sometimes works, this random act of kindness was greatly appreciated.  Thank you kindly, sir!

2 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

How nice!

Lily said...

That's a lovely story! I love hearing about good deeds. There's too much negativity in the world, so it's nice to be reminded that there are good people out there.