Friday, November 29, 2013

Moving the Ball Forward

Today marked another step as I sent off my graduate school applications.  I still have a few documents to take care but the "guts" of my application have been taken care of and these other items shouldn't be a hassle (knock on wood).  The biggest challenge was definitely the proposal/statement of intent/statement of purpose etc. portion and something I grappled with for days.  Basically, this is where you try to sell yourself and make your application stand out.

My old Nunavut blog was a big help in many ways and I actually pulled a couple writing samples from it to submit.  It was also nice to re-visit portions and see what ideas suggest themselves as potential research topics.  In the meantime, I've been doing a ton of reading....some MA theses, a couple PhD dissertations, various other government and research articles, even a 2010 senate committee report, chaired by Senator Pamela Wallin.  So I suppose our hapless upper chamber does do SOME work after all.  Interestingly, a couple of the individuals interviewed for this report are people I'd more than likely have some contact with in the event I was to study at the one school I've applied to.  At any rate, any good finds I come across are written down and so I have the beginnings of a bibliography of sorts.

All this reading has led to a myriad of interesting topics for papers outside of just a potential thesis. Listing them here from the list in my head would definitely take some time so I won't bore you with all the details.  I've been in contact with some professors and doctoral students and my uncle, who's been through this process before, who have all provided some excellent feedback.

On top of my reading, the other thing I'm hoping to do is more writing and that's where this blog comes into play.  This is my way of reminding myself I need to get some serious blogging done over the next little while.  So who's up for some discussion on Diefenbaker's "Roads to Resources" program??  I kid, I kid.  But I do need to start writing again to get back into practice so that writing for school (and I know there will be A LOT of that) won't be as painful.

So that's where things stand at the moment.  If you see a few upcoming blog posts about northern development strategies, the DEW Line, arctic security issues or the odd military mutiny (yes, Canada did have some) it just means I'm working on honing my writing skills.


No comments: