Friday, June 19, 2015

Last Weekend's Bird Tally

It was after doing my write ups about my trip to BC that I realized I failed to mention the birds that I saw so I will make up for my somewhat embarrassing oversight here.  I should start off by saying that I was very pleased with my excursion tally.   Prior to my trip I had a total of 18 birds recorded for the year.  When I do my big spring outings and see 10-12 species during the course of a day, I consider that a pretty good day.  For this trip, I figured seeing 15-20 species, which I felt was quite doable, would have me over the moon.  So how did I do?  I saw a total of 26 birds on this trip alone (including one bonus in Jasper town site).  Many of the birds I saw were ones I had seen before, however, I DID see 6 species I had never seen before in my life.

Here is my list below, more or less in the order I saw them.  Those in bold type are my "first sightings".

Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD
Slate-coloured Junco
Bank Swallow
Barn Swallow
Common Raven
Black-billed Magpie
House Sparrow
American Robin
Chipping Sparrow
MARSH WREN
Canada Goose
American Coot
Blue-Winged Teal
CINNAMON TEAL
DARK-EYED JUNCO
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Red-wing Blackbird
Ruddy Duck
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER
Mallard Duck
Black-capped Chickadee
ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK
Yellow-Rumped Warbler
Rock Dove (in Jasper)

No comments: