Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Walk in the Park



The weather a bit cooler this past weekend in Calgary compared to the weekend previously but with the better part of a day to kill I wasn't about to let that stop me from enjoying some otherwise clear skies.  My initial plan was to wander down along the Elbow River but I found myself instead at Prince's Island Park.  I hadn't initially planned to do any birdwatching this time around since I had just been here a week previously and didn't have any expectations.  The park has a number of small stands of trees so I wandered about rather aimlessly on the odd chance I might find something interesting.  Appropriately, enough I caught my first glimpses of Pine Siskins in some of the pine trees.  Another species for my life list.  

                                

Down by the river I saw my first Red-breasted nuthatch.  While we do get them here in Fort McMurray, particularly along the Birchwood Trails, this particular bird has been a bit of a nemesis bird for me.   It was nice to finally be able to add this one to my life list.  I also got a sighting of a Junco which I have yet to spot here so far this year.  All in all, not a bad last couple of outings for exploring such a small area.  Four new species for my life list in just under a month.  Thanks Calgary.


This statue commemorating the 500th anniversary of the birth of Nicholas Copernicus seemed a bit out of place and more in line with what I might see during my last trip to Europe but it did mark pretty close to the spot where I sighted the Pine Siskins.

No comments: