Thursday, May 19, 2016

Re-entry Plan

When I saw a seagull flying by yesterday with a giant stick lodged in its tail feathers I had a feeling it could be a rather surreal day. And indeed that is how it turned out as we learned about the re-entry plan for Fort McMurray. After the fire's recent spread and a few set backs I wasn't expecting to hear any good news any time soon. Needless to say, news of this plan gave me a welcome boost. This news was sweetened even further upon learning through a website put out by the municipality that my home sustained no serious structural damage. The smoke will be another issue I'm sure but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

The phased re-enrty plan means that I will be allowed to return home as early as June 3rd. Likely it won't be until a few days later but I do intend to return as soon as I'm able. I'm hoping I might get a bit lucky with my refrigerator as my area of town kept power for long than a few others. I do intend to bring a cooler with me just in case and we will be under a "boil water" advisory until at least the end of June. I'm glad I had the time and foresight to leave some potable water in sealed containers and one sink before I had to leave. I don't have any problems with roughing it for a little bit if I have to.


No comments: