Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Nature of the Beast

I suspect that this will be the last post I make before my hoped-for scheduled return to Fort McMurray on Saturday.  I'm trying my best to prepare myself mentally for the next few days though I've seen enough video online to help calm my nerves.  The one thing video can't show is odour which I suspect will be the one thing that will hit me once I unlock my front door.  In my mind, I have an idea of what to expect and my little inner sadist is curious.

My blog's header photo shows one of my favourite views of the Athabasca River valley.  If you were to be standing in the exact same spot (just a little north of the golf course) right now, much of what you see in this photo was damaged.  I'm hard-pressed to think of any of my favourite hiking and birding spots I've explored here that have emerged unscathed.

"The Beast" as it has been dubbed has certainly thrown life into a loop.  I do take a lot of comfort knowing that there are many others in the same boat and quite a few people who will find themselves worse off than my situation.  The latest number I've seen on its size is a whopping 582 000 hectares.  I tracked down a number of maps showing the size of the fire transposed on a few selected cities to give an idea of the area involved.





















No comments: