Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Anticipation

While I was away during the wildfire I had all my mail forwarded to my parents' in Ontario.  I set things up with Canada Post to forward my mail until June 30 before resuming regular service here.  My parents collected it and sent it along and it all finally arrived here a few days ago.  Having almost two months worth of mail arrive all at once is......interesting.  Fortunately, my parents had taken out all the junk mail and since a few of my bills are always the same amount every month, I was able to keep up with things without too much difficulty.

There was one item that arrived that caught my attention in particular and that would be the brochure for the Calgary Philharmonic's 2016-17 season.  Needless to say I spent  a nice little chunk of time on my last set of days off pouring over it and checking dates against my work schedule.  I then went online and repeated the same exercise with the schedule for the Edmonton Symphony.  At the moment I'm fervently hoping that my work schedule doesn't change over the course of the next few months (and I am rather confident that it won't) because it appears that I will have lots of options for concerts for the upcoming season.  I was pretty disappointed that I missed my last planned concert down in Calgary back in May. I was actually supposed to go to Calgary the day after the evacuation.  I had mentioned in an earlier post leading up to that particular concert that the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto was something I had been wanting to see since my teen years.  So I was more than a little disappointed when that concert didn't happen for me.  As luck would have it, I can make up it by seeing this piece in Edmonton next May.

Call me old-fashioned but in a world of social media and mass technology I will always appreciate the opportunity to see live music and perhaps particularly so now with all the gadgets to be found out there.  Assuming I can get out to every concert this coming season that I hope to, there are quite a few musical gems I'll have a chance to hear and experience.  Some are pretty well-known even to a person who may not overly familiar with the world of classical music, like Vivaldi's The Four Seasons for example.  But there will also be symphonies by Shostakovich, Sibelius, Bruckner, Brahms and Mahler, Bethoven's 6th and 8th symphonies, Schubert's "Unfinished" Symphony, a couple Mozart piano concertos, both of Chopin's piano concertos, the Dvorak cello concerto, Holst's "The Planets" and Mozart's Gran Partita (one of the earliest works I'm know of that feature solely woodwind instruments) among many others.   It's quite an interesting musical palette.  

No comments: