Saturday, July 9, 2016

Early Morning

Having a pretty productive day yesterday as far as tackling my list of errands, I jumped at the opportunity to head out early this morning with one of my tenants who wanted to do a little fishing at a small pond just off the highway south of town.  I haven't fished in a few years but I grabbed my binoculars and tagged along for some fresh air and to see what birds might catch my eye.

It was pretty overcast and muggy and the mosquitos were rather annoying at times but I did spot a grey jay before I even got out of the truck.  It's been three or four years since one has graced my year list so that in itself made the trip worth a few mosquito bites.


Just on the other side of the pond a small tributary of the Hangingstone River slowly loops its way northward toward town.  Venturing down into the little valley would have been a fool's errand with he amount of mud and mosquitos so I stuck to the gravel path that looped around the pond.  Accessing the Hangingstone closer to town is a real challenge due to Abasand being off limits as a result of the fire so this small tributary is the best I can do for the time being.  It seems I can't really go anywhere without seeing fire damage but the place was still quite lush.  How quickly the forest rejuvenates itself.




No comments: