Monday, August 15, 2016

Anticipation

It seems that we had a really short summer on account of all the drama back in May.  The past few days I've really started to notice the daylight getting shorter.  I still get home before the sun sets (at a little after pm) but that won't last too much longer).  And while it may mean that fall is around the corner, it also means that the upcoming concert season is fast approaching as well.

With the season schedules in hand (Calgary actually mailed one to me.  Aren't I special?) for both Edmonton and Calgary, I began planning out concerts that I can get to on my days off.  The work schedule I have only runs to the end of the calendar year but I sat down recently and worked out my work schedule on paper all the way until next June so that I could plan out the entire concert season.  My schedule could potentially change but I don't see it happening any time soon which allows me to predict future concert dates with a reasonable degree of certainty.

I even have a potential concert planned to see the Vancouver Symphony in late November.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to see it given the distance and the fact that hotels in Vancouver seem to be priced just as insanely as its other property prices.  But hey, its the VSO so how many opportunities will I really get to see something like that?  And for a Rachmaninoff piano concerto and a symphony by Sibelius, I'd gladly do what I could to make it there.

As for my Edmonton and Calgary concerts, it really is amazing how much great music I could potentially see.  I doubt I will be able to get to all the concerts on my list but I'll give it a shot.  I plan to be as prudent as possible to fit as many in as I can at any rate.  

The list is just so tantalizing....in Edmonton there's Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 21 and the "Haffner" Symphony, Chopin's Piano Concerto no.2,  Vivaldi's "The 4 Seasons" (overplayed but seeing the entire thing live will still be a treat.), the Faure Requiem, the Dvorak Cello Concerto(!), Brahms' Symphony no.2, Sibelius' Symphony no. 7, and the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto (take THAT wild fire for messing up my chance to see in Calgary back in May!

As for Calgary, there's Chopin's Piano Concerto no.1, the Brahms Requiem, the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto, Shostakovich's Symphony no.9, Mahler's 9th Symphony, Mozart's Piano Concerto no.21 again (because hey, why hear it once when you can hear it twice?), Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 23, and his lone bassoon concerto, Haydn's "Farewell" Symphony, Beethoven's Piano Concerto no.3 (a personal favourite) and his 6th Symphony, "The Planets" by Gustav Holst and a golden opportunity to see the Juno-winning Gryphon Trio perform.

It's all just so tantalizing. It's happening soon....and it all kicks off September 30 in Edmonton.

No comments: