Monday, September 5, 2016

Out of the Ashes



A stretch of rainy, windy and generally unpleasant weather had kept me cooped up inside for a few days so I jumped at the opportunity to head out yesterday to stretch my legs and enjoy what turned out to be a pretty decent day.  One of my regular birding routes I follow takes me by a section a of a neighbouring subdivision that was hit hard by the fires back in May and while it felt great to be able to add four new species to my life list*, it was even better to see the changes slowly being made to our community as it rises up and brushes itself off.  The bulk of this particular area has been demolished (as least as far as I could see through the trees).  It's still a bit tough to look at, this giant gaping wound that has been ripped open only a short walk from my own home.  

It was encouraging the see signs of the rebuild starting to happen as is evidence by this one new home, slowly rising out of the ashes.

*shoveller duck, grey-cheeked thrush, green-winged teal, gadwall

No comments: